Now You See Me  - S.J. Bolton Having thought SJ Bolton's first three novels, which had a atmospheric supernatural feel to them, were enjoyable but not memorable I was interested to see what she would do with a straightforward crime thriller. I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised.

A modern day Jack the Ripper copy cat killer is killing women in London and young DC Lacey Flint is on board the investigation because of her knowledge of Ripper lore. Right from the beginning you know that there is something in her past that she is hiding that continues to haunt her. It is soon clear that the killer has a link with Lacey and the plot begins to twist and turn.

The historical detail of the original Ripper killings and the description of the London setting of the modern day killer are masterful.

The author's development of the Lacey character is flawlessness, you are gripped by her darkness and pain and even though she tells her story in the first person you are never sure if she is a reliable narrator, well you do believe her and you doubt her... it's is this rollercoaster of a thread through the book that adds another dimension to this thriller.

The book is so compulsively readable with a a cliffhanger at the end of virtually every chapter, that makes you read on and on....you think you have cracked it and then the story is off again in another direction at breakneck speed.

I loved the chemistry of the relationship between Lacey and Joesbury, a senior officer on the team who veers between suspecting her of being more involved than she is telling and desire.

Love this exchange between them whilst investigating a lead in Cardiff...

“Then we are going to meet a woman called Muffin Thomas, Joesbury went on, in between mouthfuls. Lives somewhere near Splatt or Splott or some such.”

“Muffin being a very common Welsh name, I said.

Joesbury reached into his pocket and pulled out a notebook. He opened it and turned it to face me.

“Myfanwy" I said, deciphering his scrawl.

"Say again?"

"Muff-an-wee" I repeated.

Full of intelligent turns, especially that last one but never felt manipulated or deceived by the author.

Masterful, mature storytelling