The Red Tree - Caitlín R. Kiernan Never has the old chestnut 'Don't judge a book by its cover’ been more apt than with Caitlin R. Kiernan's The Red Tree.

The cheesy ‘paranormal chick lit’ cover totally misrepresents this extraordinarily literate piece of writing. It annoyed me so much I had to download the alternative cover from the author's website author's website and use that!

The author relates the story of the Red Tree through a myriad of literary devices including unreliable narrators, fictional non-fiction, pretend quotations and invented local legends plus down right lies and half remembered dreams and imaginings.

The main character suffers from random episodes of forgetfulness which adds to the unsettling nature of the story leaving both the characters and the reader unsure of what is real and what is not. As a reader you become more and more disoriented and uneasy…it really does mess with your head!

Think 'Blair Witch' meets The Haunting of Hill House in the style of House of Leaves

I have only one teeny, tiny gripe is that it maybe a bit too clever for its own good.