The Burning Air: A Novel - Erin Kelly 'Of course it was love for my children, love for my son, that caused me to act as I did. It was a lapse of judgement. If I could have foreseen the rippling aftershocks that followed I would have acted differently, but by the time I realised the extent of the consequences, it was too late'.

The MacBrides have always gone to Far Barn in Devon for Bonfire Night, but this year everything is different. Lydia, the matriarch, is dead; Sophie, the eldest daughter, is desperately trying to repair a crumbling marriage; and Felix, the youngest of the family, has brought a girlfriend with him for the first time.

The girl, Kerry, seems odd in a way nobody can quite put their finger on - but when they leave her looking after Sophie's baby daughter, and return to find both Kerry and the baby gone, they are forced to ask themselves if they have allowed a cuckoo into their nest...

A twisty tale of revenge told from the perspectives of four of the characters all giving their own angles and versions of the story.
The smug, supercilious MacBrides offended my Northern working class background more than they should and although they do have their fair share of tragedy I little sympathy for them and must confess I was routing for the other team.

Without revealing too many details there is a fantastic twist in this novel that makes you read the sentence over and over again in disbelief. In retrospect it is logical and difficult to believe it wasn't apparent all along though it is assumption by being unspecific rather than deliberate misleading.

Thought the ending was a little rushed, and anti-climactic but in general thought it had some interesting things to say about power afforded by wealth and social class